History

History

On December 18, 1970 two remarkable organizations merged.  The Lambertville Ambulance Association (formed in 1927) and the Lambertville Rescue Squad (formed in 1946) joined to become The Lambertville Ambulance & Rescue Squad, one organization dedicated solely to providing emergency care to the Lambertville-New Hope and surrounding communities.

The Lambertville Ambulance Association was one of the oldest volunteer ambulance squads in New Jersey.  It organized in 1914 under the auspices of the Lambertville Fire Patrol, when the Patrol invited area doctors to a demonstration of the Pulmotor – an artificial respiration device.  The Doctors and local industries were given the names of the Patrolmen to contact in case the Pulmotor was needed.  The Patrol, concerned for the care of fire victims and firefighters, placed a first aid box and oxygen cylinders on a fire truck in 1918. 

In 1946, when a young boy drowned in the Delaware River, several citizens watched a disorganized attempt to recover the body. They decided to meet with officials of the Fire Dept. to discuss forming a rescue squad to provide emergency rescue services that were lacking in the community at that time. Mr. Howard Lot donated an Army surplus Dodge truck that was converted to an ambulance. Boats were purchased and the Lambertville Rescue Squad became operational in March of 1947. The founding members of the Squad placed emphasis on training and equipment in order to handle any emergency the community might encounter.  During the Delaware River flood of 1955 squad members worked for 72 continuous hours in order to save lives and property.  The Squad participated in many state and international competitions.  Its record for winning World Heavy Rescue Championships is unparalleled.  Numerous awards have also been won in the team categories of male, female, mixed and youth first aid.

Continuing the finest traditions of the two parent organizations, the Lambertville Ambulance & Rescue Squad changed its name to the Lambertville-New Hope Ambulance & Rescue Squad.  This was done in 1985 to give a more accurate definition of the Squad’s service areas and to encourage participation by citizens on both sides of the Delaware River. The Squad is one of very few Squads answering calls on both sides of the Delaware River.

The Ladies Auxiliary, formed in 1950, has provided strong support to the membership throughout the years.

Today, the Squad’s equipment includes four ambulances, all licensed and certified by the New Jersey Dept. of Health and the Pennsylvania Dept. of Health. Each ambulance is equipped with an automatic external defibrillator (AED), Narcan, EpiPens, an oxygen administration system, and basic life support essential medical supplies. Other vehicles operated by the Squad include a technical/marine rescue vehicle, a diver support truck, a utility pick-up truck, a service van, Medical Support Rehab unit, three river rescue boats, a K9 search boat and an airboat rescue craft. 

The Squad headquarters, completed in 1974 and located on one of Lambertville’s hills, overlooks the Delaware River and surrounding countryside. It is strategically placed to quickly access the service areas of Lambertville, New Hope, Solebury Township, West Amwell Township, Delaware Township and Stockton.  Banquet facilities with a capacity of 230 guests are located on the second floor of the station.

Ambulance crews must complete training as Emergency Medical Technicians (NJ and/or PA), and are required to be certified in professional cardio-pulmonary resuscitation for Healthcare Providers.  In addition, members are trained in the latest techniques for medical emergencies under the supervision of the Squad’s medical director, Dr. Kenneth Lavelle.  Dr. Kenneth Lavelle is a Board Certified EMS Physician in the Philadelphia, New Jersey and Washington DC area. The squad has purchased two new LUCAS II CPR chest compression system for cardiac arrest patients.  Specialized teams also provide technical (rope) rescue and water rescue operations. The Squad has a K9 Search Unit capable of performing wilderness and disaster search with certified K9 teams. Two full-time day-crews, along with 25 volunteers answered over 1900 emergency calls in 2016. (See the squad’s annual report for specific data about call volume and other information pertaining to all squad activities).

Services are provided 24 hours a day, every day of the year with “in house” duty crews.  The Squad receives its operating funds from public contributions through the Squad’s own fund-raising efforts and contributions from the municipalities served by the squad. The Squad started third party billing in 2011 in order to ensure adequate income for continued operations.

The Squad also benefits from outstanding community support from civic groups, local government and the community at large.

 

Our Family wants to Thank You for all the valuable Service that you provide to our community.

— – Lambertville Resident